{2018 GOALS} hello new year

After racking my brain to remember what I did in 2017, I’m now staring at a blinking cursor in a word doc titled “2018 goals.”

And my mind is about as blank as the rest of the document is. (ha. Yes. Terrible joke).

Don’t get me wrong—I’m ready for this new year (at least, I’d better be, because it’s been 2018 for five days already. Wwaaaaaah?). But 2018 is already full of so many unknowns that I have no clue whether anything I’m about to dream up is even going to happen.

However, I’m way to stubborn to give up before I’ve hardly begun, so let’s do this 2018 goal thing 😉

Goal #1, write 800,000 words….

One of my goals is not to do that *points to above* My ambition got the best of me in 2017, and I found myself feeling stressed out, burnt out, and rushed. When I sat down at the start of December to think up writing goals, I began by telling myself to go for quality, not quantity in 2018.

So here is my not really modest list of writing goals.

#1. Fully edit one novel. Yes, I have yet to completely edit a novel xP I usually make it to content edits, then set it aside or send it off. Therefore, I’ve never done line-edits or proofreads. I’m determined to change that this year. Hopefully, Prison Zero will be the novel I go to the end with.

#2. Write Found and send it to alphas. Just ignore the fact that I did that last year because this new draft is TOTALLY different. This story is near and dear to my heart, yet the most rebellious sludge of words I’ve ever wrangled. 2018 will be my time to conquer it 😉

#3. Write one completely new novel. Probably for NaNoWriMo. I have no clue what it will be yet.

#4. Tighten up my prose. *clears throat* It’s gotten a bit…sloppy. Mostly my fiction, but also here on the blog; it feels a little wordy at times (correct me if I’m wrong though bc I’m really critical of myself 😛 )

#5. Write a protagonist with a negative character arc. Because who doesn’t want to write the story of a perfectly good, innocent hero becoming dark and corrupt?

#6. Write a short story. I started last week, just to get the momentum going.

#7. Learn how to format for Kindle. This isn’t really writing-related, but I want to start messing around with it. You know, just in case….

#8. Unify plot, theme, and character, master subtly and subtext, add loads of conflict to my stories, and figure out how to consistently nail down a solid story premise.

Kidding. Well, maybe not 😉

50 books. It. Will. Happen. Somehow. Thanks to Goodreads’ rereading option, I think I can do it. I want to go to some awesome fictional places this year!

And, I mean, I already have three books I MUST read—Amber Eyes (SD Grimm), Song Of Leira (Gillian Bronte Adams), and Fawkes (Nadine Brandes). *excited screaming*

I really want to grow my blog this year! My goals are….

reach 200 email list subscribers (I recently learned how important this is to have as an author!)

reach 200 blog followers (hopefully by email)

turn the blog into a website. I’m already working on that. Basically, everything will be the same, but I’ll be adding a home page and I might alter the header a tiny bit 😊

be consistent on social media. I’m scheduling tweets, setting up an author page on Facebook, and upping my game on Insta.

[UNSTATED] But hopefully coming in February. Sorry, I can’t give any hints 😉

ALSO, I want to thank you guys for filling out the survey last week. Your suggestions and encouragement was amazing. (and I might have teared up a dozen times over your kind words. I love you all *hugs* <3)

Heh. Yeah. This is where I completely draw a blank. BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN THIS YEAR. Every year is like that in a way, but 2018 is a huge yawning expanse of unknowns right now.

But it’s exciting. I’m ready. I have a feeling this new year is going to rock.

You might recall that last year, I chose a word for the year—JOY. This year, I’m going with grace. I mean grace as in every Christian definition of it—His life in us, the help He gives us, etc. I want to grow in the Lord’s grace in 2018 and learn to rely more on His strength than mine.

First, my friend Riley Aline just launched her new blog! She’s a wonderful writer friend of mine and an awesome writer. Go check out her new space and give her a follow! 😀

{CLICK HERE}

To wrap up this lengthy post, I wanted to let you know that I have some awesome posts planned for this year. I have ideas for blog posts all the way until March, so it’s going to be busy. xD Also, I’m not sure if I’m going to keep doing monthly wrap ups. I cover nearly the same thing in my newsletter, and I really want to put my focus there for now. However, that does NOT mean that I won’t give life updates and such on the blog! 😊

Finally, I wish I could give you a big overview of what might be happening for me this year, but I honestly have no clue. I just gotta trust that the tangled knot of the future is going to sort itself out. I’ll let you all know when I know more (like if I’m going to Realm Makers or publishing or something 😛 )

Happy New Year,

So…what are you doing this year? What are your goals? Hopes? Plans? Random, crazy thoughts about 2018?!?

life

Madison Grace
    January 6, 2018 at 1:37 am

Sounds like you have an amazing year! I hope you complete everything in your heart to do this year, and best of luck with all of your writing!

Madi

January 6, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Thanks so much, Madi! I hope you have a wonderful year too 😀

Gray Marie
    January 6, 2018 at 7:04 am

Best of luck on your goals! Happy 2018!! <3

-Gray Marie | graymariewrites.blogspot.com

January 6, 2018 at 4:47 pm

Thanks, Gray! Happy New Year!

January 6, 2018 at 7:05 am

Oh my gosh! Audreyyyy, those goals are awesome! *screams because possible publishing* You’re going to crush them, girl! And, I mean, can’t not want more Audrey on Instagram. hi 😛

I love your word for the year! It’s so funny, because I’ve been seeing people talk about their words everywhere, and I didn’t realize that many people chose a word. It’s so neat.

Thank you for the mention <3 Even though you’re not sure where 2018 will take you, I hope it’s your greatest year yet!

~ riley aline

January 6, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Aaaahh thank you <33 We'll see how it goes. It would just be...so awesome to publish 😀
      I think insta has become my favorite social media platform for sure!
      YES, it's so awesome. I first heard about it from Nadine Brandes' blog and I was hooked. I even convinced my family to do it as well xD

You're welcome! And thank you! I hope you have a wonderful year too!

January 6, 2018 at 10:25 am

I LOVED this post, Audrey!!

I look forward to see what you do for NaNo this year!!

January 6, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Thank you, Catherine!!

S.F. Dekreel
    January 6, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Yay for 2018! (although where on Earth did 2017 go?) Good goals! I can’t wait for you to get published!! 😉
    “UNSTATED.” Ooooooh! 8)
    I’m excited for you, and I hope that you reach your goals and more! 😉 God bless!
    — Dekreel *name scratched on paper with claw :3*

January 6, 2018 at 4:52 pm

Thanks, Dekreel! 😀
      Yass I love keeping secrets on this blog. Makes you eager to stay and find out more, just like a good hook for a book, right? 😉
      Thanks! *looks nervously at the clawmarks*

Micaiah
    January 6, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Goodreads has re-read option!? I’m still getting used to Goodreads and such, so I didn’t know that. You learn something new every day, I suppose. xD And I cannot wait for Fawkes either! The cover alone…. *shoves face into pillow and screams*

It looks like you have an awesome year ahead of you-I hope that you can reach all of your goals (and that I’ll get to read some more of your writing this year =D)!

Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

January 6, 2018 at 4:54 pm

I think it’s been there for almost a year but I just figured out how to use it xD
      *screams with you* I’m going to block off two days to read it in July!

Aw, thanks, Micaiah! I hope you have a wonderful year!

Anna Pool
    January 6, 2018 at 3:02 pm

Hey Audrey! I just discovered your blog recently, and I’m loving reading all the posts. I love your design *so* much.

Those are awesome goals! I’m trying the whole goal thing again in 2018 (didn’t go super well in 2017) and hoping it goes better. I’m also going to try and edit one of my books (which I’ve never done before) so that should be interesting.

Good luck with all your goals, and I can’t wait to continue reading your blog!

January 7, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Hello Anna! Nice to meet you 🙂 And thank you so much!

I’m sorry! I really hope this year goes better for you. I wish you the best of luck with editing your novel!

Thanks for reading! <3

Katie Grace
    January 7, 2018 at 11:30 am

I said this last time I visited your blog, but DUDE YOU ARE A WRITING MACHINE. *hands you cookies* *and rest* Good luck with all of your goals — I’m so excited about Fawkes coming out. o.o

katie grace
    a writer’s faith

January 7, 2018 at 6:45 pm

DUDE THANK YOU SO MUCH <33 *eats cookies*
      Thanks. And Fawkes.... *restrains from screaming* I just. can't. wait. I'm going to make sure that my schedule is completely cleared once I get my hands on it xD

Thanks for reading!

January 7, 2018 at 1:57 pm

GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR GOALS. *fistbumps*
    I honestly can’t wait for Fawkesssss. <3 <3 It's going to be the most epic thing ever.
    I don't know if you have scrivener, but if you do, it's got some good compile options and makes it suuuper easy to format things into ebook/kindle books. *fingerguns*

January 7, 2018 at 6:46 pm

THANK YOU!
      Aaaahh I know. Blogsphere is going to ignite into a group of flailing readers when it comes xD
      Yes, I do have scrivener! I just…haven’t messed around with those options yet. *is guilty* Thanks for reminding me it has that option!

Nabila
    January 7, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Good luck on your goals! I honestly loved reading this post. 🙂 Happy 2018!

January 7, 2018 at 6:47 pm

Thank you, Nabila! <3 Happy New Year!