{WRITERS AND AUTUMN} 7 reasons why we’re the perfect match

HAPPY AUTUMN *throws leaves in the air* I’m sorry, my summer-loving friends, but the season of falling leaves, nippy winds, and delicious scents has finally arrived!

It has come to my attention during my near-year of blogging that a lot of writers say autumn is their favorite season, myself including. So today, in honor of the first day of fall, I’m revealing the seven reasons why writers and autumn are often the perfect match. (if you’re a writer who does not like autumn, don’t worry—this post is for amusement 😉

Also, because the school year recently started, I’m going to be using several mathematical expressions, so bear with me! I’m just using addition and comparison symbols though, so it should be easy to understand 😉

REASON # 1

WRITERS <3 CAFFEINE. CAFFEINE = WARM DRINKS. AUTUMN = WARM DRINKS = LOTS OF CAFFEINE

WHAT WRITER DOES NOT LIKE CAFFINE?!? Okay, maybe me. But I DO enjoy a good hot chocolate and the occasional cup of tea. Having some sort of beverage when writing is a must, and warm drinks often inspire a cozy feeling that makes writing easier (?) rather than how cold drinks just make you shiver….

But really. Colder weather is just an accuse to have more caffeine, especially after a summer of ice tea or ice coffee or Star Bucks Refreshers or whatever you like.

REASON #2

BECAUSE SWEATERS

Let me give you two mental pictures here:

First, imagine writing on a swelteringly hot day with sweat dripping from your forehead, a fan blowing on your face and muting your music, and your cold drink soaked with precipitation so every time you set it down your fingers are wet, and thus you run the risk of getting your keyboard, or notebook, ruined.

Then imagine a chilly day, curled up in an over-sized knit sweater that goes down to your thumbs, perhaps with a nice little fire by your side, and a warm drink that might just be a Pumpkin Spice Latte. You might even have a blanket on your lap, or some of those cool little half-glove things so your fingers stay warm while you type

AND (this is important) because sweaters are so versatile, you can wear them to bed, out to the store, or writing. THEY LITERALLY GO WITH EVERYTHING, K?  And we writers like to keep our style simple and cozy so if we’re caught writing in our pajamas, our pajamas consist of the sweater we wear during the day so we don’t have to change before we go out.

Sweaters are the official attire of writers.

REASON #3

FALL = COLORFUL LEAVES FLYING + UNUSUAL SMELLS + WIND = WRITERLY SENSES STIMULATED. WRITERLY SENSES STIMULATED = LOTS OF PLOT BUNNIES.

Fall is so ALIVE. As a blogger I know would say, it makes our souls hum. There’s so much going on—leaves being set aflame by the cold, a paradox that gets our brain gears moving (kinda creepy imagery?). There are so many scents and sounds that aren’t there during other seasons that really get our imagination excited (I guess you could say that about other seasons too but sshhhh that’s not what the post is about) And an active imagination means LOTS of plot bunnies. And armies of plot bunnies always mean new WIPs or inspiration for editing.

And there’s something that bunnies like about fall too? I saw three in a row on my bike ride the other day. Silly little things almost got hit sitting in the middle of the path 😛 (though I would sooner crash than hit one, btw)

REASON #4

SCHOOL = SCHECULES. SCHEDULES = WRITING SCHEDULES

I don’t know about you, but one of the first things I did when making my school schedule was carve out a time for writing. It was tough to do that over the summer with all the summer-y stuff going on. But when life falls back into a reliable routine with school…

Clearly the right time to make sure we have ridiculous amounts of time to write.

REASON #5

COLD WEATHER > WRITERS’ BRAVERY –> WRITERS GO INSIDE

Because we are sensitive to cold weather and cannot stand it. Thus, as the temperature plummets to a frigid 56 degrees, we must go inside or freeze to death. Even if we love the outdoors, we cannot survive in such conditions. THE STRUGGLE IS REAL, OKAY?

But we, being adventurous creatures, cannot be satisfied with staying indoors. Thus we are attracted to hours of excessive reading or, most often, shutting ourselves away with survival tools (sweaters, hots drinks, etc.) and writing madly to satisfy our desire to explore.

(this might not really be true because I’m more apt to go outside in autumn. Oops xD)

REASON #6

SCHOOL > OUR LIVES –> WRITERS RESORT TO WRITING AS AN EXCUSE NOT TO STUDY

Because what better excuse do we have not to study than to go write our novel? (even though we know we’re just going to headdesk for hours on end when we see our mess of words). We need something to escape from math and science and all such terrible forms of torture 😛

REASON #7

NANOWRIMO > EVERYTHING ELSE.

Enough said (this point mainly applies to US writers, but ignore that for a moment ;). This reason is truly why writers are so attracted to this season. We jump for joy at the notion of joining thousands of other writers for thirty days of warring against procrastination, writers’ block, and the need to sleep and exercise in order to torture newly created characters to force them to change. Surviving this treacherous adventure is the achievement every writer strives for.

I think it’s rather ironic that NaNo was chosen to be in the fall (at least in the US). Even if it’s because the ‘nov’ in November mirrors the first three letters of ‘novel,’ I believe that my above reasons are to blame as well 😉

What is your favorite season to write in and why? Can you think of any other crazy reasons why writers like autumn? Why do YOU think NaNoWriMo is in November?

writing life

Florid Sword
    September 23, 2017 at 11:15 am

Ahhh, I know you said this post was a joke, but it's so undeniably true! Except for the caffeine part. I made myself drink some of my dads pumpkin coffee a couple of days ago and… was not my fave. But that's okay! Because now I can drink hot chocolate agin!

Melissa Gravitis
    September 23, 2017 at 11:26 am

It is moments like these where I realize…I live in the Southern Hemisphere. xD SPRING TIME FOR ME!!! I can say I am so happy that it is getting warmer because I feel like I became a permanent icicle for a few months there! But anyway, I love this post! Lots of amusement and smiles from me! 😀

Lila Red
    September 23, 2017 at 12:13 pm

All of this is so YES. Especially the one about sweaters!!! XD

Anna
    September 23, 2017 at 1:11 pm

YES YES YES, I curled up with happiness reading this post xD ^.^ All of this is totally on point <3

Andrea
    September 23, 2017 at 1:35 pm

The whole writing world is gearing up for NaNoWriMo and I am still confused // terrified // excited. Mostly confused though!

I would love to experience autumn, but here it's all rain which is still no problem for me! I get to stay home and listen to rain while pounding words out <3

– andrea at a surge of thunder

Julian Daventry
    September 23, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Ah, Fall!! *grins* *horses come trotting up, their manes and tails covered in prickly burrs* Welp, reason #1 why I /don't/ like fall.

But I /do/ love all the colorful leaves, the scheduling, the cups of hot tea, being able to wear blue jeans without people saying "are you crazy – it's 100 degrees outside?!" and the excuses for staying inside and writing. And, of course, NANOWRIMO!!!! I can't wait!!

Karyssa Norton
    September 23, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Yes yes yes!! I loove fall! <3 I love warm drinks, and not only coffee. 😉 Oh my word, sweaters are the best! I wear one almost every day (every day this summer too because it was always cold :P). 😀

I have wondered why NaNoWriMo is in November, but I can't think of any reasons other than the ones you've already said. I can't wait for it (even though I haven't finished outlining my novels for it)! I'm really excited! :DD

Autumn is my favorite season for sure! 🙂

Grace Osas
    September 23, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Same! I'm a writer who doesn't give a care about caffeine. Water is the best and tea is second, I guess.

It's funny because since I'm doing a one-year writing course in college, I have to write and read a lot. Which is awesome. So my mum can't say I'm procrastinating now. (Then again, I need to get away from my phone. Now THAT'S the problem.)

I want to join NANO someday so I guess if my WIP stays stagnant… I could do that?

Micaiah Saldaña
    September 23, 2017 at 6:58 pm

Yes, yes, YES! Sweaters! Salted caramel hot chocolate! Leaves skittering across the sidewalk! FALL IS THE BEST TIME TO BARRICADE YOURSELF IN THE HOUSE WITH A COMPUTER AND CHOCOLATE AND JUST WRITE. Amusement? This post is SO true! xD

Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

Farm Lassie
    September 24, 2017 at 12:35 am

UGHH if school wasn't during the fall and winter, I would say that those seasons is the perfect time for me to write. Because if it is nice out – sunny and warm – I want to be working or playing outside, not writing.

I do like my fall wardrobe, and having tea/cocoa. But schoolllll…..

Riley Rawls
    September 24, 2017 at 1:48 am

I LOVVVVVE fall!! Basically all of this is spot on. Hot chocolate, yes. Sweaters, double yes. Schedules, absolutely. Camp NaNo, YES! Ahhh, fall just gives me a different feel than the other seasons! I love the colors, the smells, etc. It just gets inspiration flowing! Great post, Audrey!

September 24, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who thinks this way 😉

Yeah. I'm not a huge fan of caffeine either. I can't think straight if I have too much of it, so definitely not the best for writing!

September 24, 2017 at 11:37 pm

That's why I put the notice in there xD I did a post on Thanksgiving last year and forgot that it's an American holiday.

Yay! I hope there are lots of beautiful flowers budding and warm breezes where you are!

September 24, 2017 at 11:38 pm

SWEATERS ARE EPIC. Unfortunately it's still in the high seventies where I am, so no sweaters yet D: 😉

September 24, 2017 at 11:39 pm

I succeeded in bringing fall coziness to you. Mission accomplished xD

September 24, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Ditto! I thought I knew what I was going to write, and now I have no clue. Do you have any plot bunnies you're experimenting with yet?

Aaahh that sounds so lovely! Rain makes for the best writing weather <3

September 24, 2017 at 11:42 pm

In the years I rode, I never experienced that. But I think it is kinda cute when they start to get all fuzzy as they grow their winter coats. I once rode a horse my mom nicknamed "yeti" because he was so fuzzy xD

YAASSS. NaNo is going to be epic this year. Do you have any ideas for what you're writing yet?

September 24, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Ah! Another writer who loves fall 😉 I guess you might get tired of it after a while, but wearing sweaters all the time sounds really cozy xD

Oooh, what are you writing, if you don't mind me asking? I only have a handful of characters and a Pinterest board so far *headdesks*

Karyssa Norton
      September 28, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I never seem to get tired of wearing hoodies. 😛

Well, I plan on writing the sequel to Strangers, along with two other novels. Right now one of them will be fantasy, and the other will be more contemporary. But I did just recently get another idea for another novel, so who knows, I might switch one of the other two out for this one. 😛 Did that make sense, or did I just confuse you?
      Your characters and Pinterest board are for your new novel right?

Did you switch your blog over to WordPress?

October 2, 2017 at 12:21 pm

No, I get it 🙂 That sounds like a really good alternative to writing a single novel of 50,000 words!

Yep! I wanted to move to a self-hosted platform, and since I’ve had some experience with WordPress, it seemed like the best option.

September 24, 2017 at 11:46 pm

There are so many of us, and yet the world still thinks all writers live off caffeine 😛

That's awesome! What sort of books are you reading?

YES. JOIN IN. Even if you don't reach the goal or end up starting late, it's a blast!

September 24, 2017 at 11:46 pm

OMW YES YES *YES* Writers who love fall unite and tell this to the world xD

September 24, 2017 at 11:47 pm

I know 😛 Every season either makes me want to go outside or makes me have to be inside doing something other than writing.

Fall wardrobe is the best 😉

September 24, 2017 at 11:49 pm

YASS FALL IS THE BEST (if I didn't say it enough in my post xD). Idk what I'm doing for NaNo yet though. Do you have a novel planned/plot bunnies gathering?

Thanks, Riley! <3

September 25, 2017 at 1:12 am

I almost wish it was autumn here now. XD But nooo, it's spring. And spring means heat is coming and rain has not for almost four months now and yeah, that's interesting. But also heat=writers stay inside because it's just TOO hot to go outside. So IT WORKS STILL. xP

Sarah Rodecker
    September 25, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I reached for my sweater just as I got to point 2! I love fall so much! NaNo. Warm drinks. Comfy clothes. Cooler weather. Scheduling. All good things that I love! This post sums them all up perfectly! Great job!

September 25, 2017 at 9:41 pm

That's pretty cool and also weird but idk I guess that's science xD

YES IT DOES. Writers just die in extreme temperatures (like below 50 degrees and above 80 :P)

September 25, 2017 at 9:42 pm

I succeeded xD I wish it was sweater weather where I am right now.

Thank you! And nice to meet you!

Gabrielle Pollack
    September 25, 2017 at 10:33 pm

Mmmmm, warm drinks. Cool fingerless gloves. And NaNoWriMo! I wasn’t so hyped about Fall a few days ago, but I’m getting there now! Sweaters, here I come! 🙂 Great post, Audrey. 🙂

September 26, 2017 at 12:04 am

YAY. Now I’ve completed my goal in life 😉

Thanks Gabby!

(also, you’re the first person to comment on my blog since I moved it to WordPress a few hours ago, so congrats! :D)

Lia
    September 26, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Hiii! I just discovered your blog and Oh my gosh I love it!!!! My favorite season is autumn and I love writing so this post is wonderful. Big sweaters, cups of hot chocolate, fall scented candles, and pretty fall colors!! Just all the fall things!!

Love the post!!!

September 27, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Nice to meet you, Lia! Thank you!

Omw, I forgot about the candles! I have some family members who don’t feel well when we burn them for more than a few minutes, so I have to satisfy myself by smelling every single one I find in stores xD

Sorrel
    September 27, 2017 at 10:49 am

Can I just ask, what makes you want to be an independent writer?

September 27, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Hi Sorrel!
      I’m drawn to the independence and flexibility of independent publishing. A lot of the publishing process is in my control, and I like learning how to format and design covers and such. I don’t necessarily think it’s “better” than traditional publishing; I just feel that it better fits my own personality and goals as a writer. 🙂

Sorrel
        September 30, 2017 at 6:55 pm

That’s so cool! I was just curious because majority of aspiring author blogs want to be traditionally published.

Jem Jones
    September 27, 2017 at 3:48 pm

I HAVE A PAIR OF BLACK FINGERLESS GLOVES and they make me feel so cool xD (Unfortunately, NaNo is in spring here. So it’s too hot to wear them.)

October 2, 2017 at 12:22 pm

AAAHHH I WANT SOME. I had a pair that I wore in a dance performance but I lost them and I’m pretty sure they’re too small now as well 😛

Ship them to me and I’ll use them xD

Marrok the Macintyre
    September 27, 2017 at 7:30 pm

Hey Audrey! Did you switch your blog over to WordPress? or is this part of the make-over?

What a fun post! it’s felt like forever since I last read anything from my fellow bloggers. And boy was this a fun post to read while I have a little time to spare. I LOVE autumn and winter (more winter because it’s still hot over here in Cali during autumn) I love being outside in the cold and writing out there. It’s just so much nicer and if I get stuck on something I can just take a break and walk around or look around as the cool winter breeze gently blows. Plus I love hoodies 😛

Man it’s great to have you back and I can’t wait to read more post, Later Audrey!

October 2, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Yep, I did 😀 I’m using Bluehost with the WordPress plugin (or however that should be worded. I’m still a newbie XP)

I admit that I’m not a huge fan of SoCal winters — they’re too warm and it never snows xD We got 20ft + of snow where I used to live. But I do like falling leaves better than falling pine needles, so that makes it worth it.

Thanks Marrok!

Hannah White
    September 28, 2017 at 10:39 am

Awww I LOVE THIS! Autumn is my faaaavorite 😀 And I work as a Barista at a coffee shop now so ALL THE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTES XP I like what you said about smells and triggering plot bunnies because YES. Also sweaters. I love sweaters. I need to go to goodwill and just GRAB 50 OF THEM IN PREPARATION cause I have like, two and that is not acceptable.

October 2, 2017 at 12:29 pm

I think this post is attracting all the autumn-loving writers XD

SAME. They’re actually my mom’s sweaters but I NEED MORE (and I need hot chocolate too)

< 3

September Wrap up + October Goals – Black Coats and Blank Paper
    October 1, 2017 at 5:04 pm

[…] isn’t cool, it’s just being lazy by Aimee Meester Writers and Autumn by Audrey Caylin This Moment, and the Next by Caroline […]

• Let's chat!