The #VoicesofYA tag

Okay, so Caitlin @Quills and Coffee tagged me for this EPIC tag and OMW I’m so excited! Thank you, Caitlin!

THE RULES:

1. Thank the person who tagged you
  2. Link to the original creator
  3. Answer the ten questions
  4. Tag at LEAST two other YA writers/bloggers

ABOUT THE WRITERS:

What draws you to YA?

Probably the fact that I’m a young adult/teenager myself xD I don’t read much MG, and I definitely don’t read adult or much NA, so YA is the obvious choice for me! Plus, I’ll be bound to find relatable characters in this genre… as well as create them πŸ˜‰
Describe your writing process. Do you like outlines and structure, or seeing where the story takes you?

Funny you should ask, because I’m actually refining it right now! I usually start out with at least all the major plot points, then a brief list of what I want to happen in between them. But recently, I’ve found that K.M. Weiland’s outlining method works really well for me. It’s like panstering, but without actually writing the entire novel xD
How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey?

I can never figure out how to answer this question πŸ˜› I started “writing” when I was about eight, but didn’t really get into it until four years ago. Or I guess you could say that I “wrote” my first book when I was six (in other words, I spoke it to my mom and forced her to write it xD), and I “finished’ a novel when I was eleven (it was horrible. period). Buuuut that’s why I can never answer this question in one sentence.

Currently, I’m in that stage where you realize that you really want to publish a book and you’re learning so much that you can’t keep up and apply it all at once. It’s an awesome place to be πŸ˜‰

What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?

A notebook, a mechanical pencil, and my laptop. I often do music, and I must have water in the room. But I don’t do coffee or tea or many snacks. Oh, and for some reason, I feel more comfortable with my bible nearby. Don’t know why exactly πŸ˜›
If you could offer one piece of advice to another writer (OTHER THAN β€œdon’t give up”), what would it be?

Figure out why you’re doing this.
I know that sounds unusual, but why are you a writer? Why do you want to get published? When you get discouraged and aren’t motivated, what is it that keeps you writing? The reason I was so drawn to writing was because I could serve God through it. If I hadn’t nailed down my reason for writing from the start, I definitely wouldn’t have made it this far. When I lose motivation or get frustrated, I always go back to WHY I’m doing this. That reignites my passion for writing and serving God.
Get your goal in mind, and you’ll go places.

ABOUT THE BOOKS:

What book still has you reeling from its plot twist? (*no spoilers please*)

Um… To Darkness Fled, please? I mean, I knew that he would find out eventually, but how it happened and how they both reacted…. (that was vague xD)
What books are you most anticipating for this year?

*flails* Exiles by Jaye L. Knight! I’ve been waiting  f o r e v e r   for it to come out!
(NOTE: release date is July 14th!!!!!)
In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise?

*laughs nervously* I’m probably not the best person to ask about that, because I usually find a way to see the unique qualities in every book. I think my best answer to this would be Cinder by Marissa Myer. I wasn’t a huge fan of the book (sorry :P), but the idea of a cyborg princess was pretty unique.
What is your all-time favorite quote from YA lit (I know, I’m cruel)?

Yeah, that’s cruel xD I would love to frame a ton of quotes, but my favorite would probably be:
“They will be angry. You must be calm. They will ask questions. You must be honest. They will watch you. You must be confident.”
-A Time To Speak

What book do you most hope will have a movie adaption?

A Time to Speak by Nadine Brandes. It would be soooo epic. Or any of hers or Jaye L. Knight’s novels.

So those are all my answers! Thank you again, Caitlin, for tagging me! Now, I tag….

Savannah @Scattered Scribblings

Liv K. Fisher @Liv K. Fisher

Micaiah @Notebooks and Novels

And basically anyone who wants to do it!

Here are the questions:

ABOUT THE WRITERS:
What draws you to YA?
How long have you been writing? Where are you in your journey?
What do you need to write? Coffee? Music?

ABOUT THE BOOKS:
What book still has you reeling from its plot twist? (*no spoilers please*)
What books are you most anticipating for this year?
In your opinion, which YA book/series has the most unique premise?
What is your all-time favorite quote from YA lit (I know, I’m cruel)?
What book do you most hope will have a movie adaption?

And if you want to use the graphic, the link is on Caitlin’s blog πŸ™‚

What draws YOU to YA? What’s (one) of your favorite quotes from YA lit?
tags

No Comments

Andrea
    May 6, 2017 at 12:06 pm

AUDREY!!! We both posted tags at the same day! This amuses me so much I don't know why haha.

I did like Cinder's premise a lot! That quote is amazing too πŸ™‚ I should try a Nadine Brandes book soon.

– Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

Karyssa Norton
    May 6, 2017 at 1:52 pm

I find it kinda funny that you did a tag today too, haha. But I tagged you for the Liebster Award. πŸ™‚

I'm in that stage too! I'm learning sooo much right now, and it's like, "I want to use ALL of it!"

That's great advice. *nods* I would probably say that as well. (I'm thinking about doing a post about it?)

I haven't read A Time to Speak, or the series, yet, but I've wanted to for a while now. I'll have to get my hands on those at some point. πŸ˜‰ I have sooo many books that I want to see made into movies! Right now I'm reading the Blades of Acktar series (which is AMAZING) and I would loove to see them made into movies. πŸ™‚

Savannah Grace
    May 6, 2017 at 2:48 pm

AH, I was SO hoping you'd tag me for this one, because it looks AMAZING. Thank you, friend! πŸ˜€

It was so fun reading your answers to these questions – and THAT QUOTE. A Time To Speak is so awesome <3. I adore when my younger sister and I read books together and then quote them to each other xD. Wonderful post, Audrey!

~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

Clara
    May 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm

OHHH this is great! I loved reading all of your answers to these questions!

Hannah White
    May 6, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Ooooh did you get K. M. Weiland's book, or are you just following her blog? I feel like I might be similar to you in writing style. I currently plan the way you used to, but I feel like I might want to get a bit more in depth…if you got the book, is it good?? *glances down and sees your instagram feed* OHHHH YOU DID GET THE BOOKS! In that case, how many have you read? Which one is your favorite so far? Would you recommend buying them?

Also, I loooove the quote you chose as your favorite. It's so pretty and inspiring *happy sigh* I REALLY NEED TO READ THAT TRILOGY. O.O

Marrok MacIntyre
    May 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm

What a fun post! So as this is your first time taking part in a tag what did you think? do you like them?

Jonathan Trout
    May 6, 2017 at 8:34 pm

*flails over all the books* EXILES. TO DARKNESS FLED. A TIME TO SPEAK. Basically I 100% approve of your reading tastes xD

(also don't tell anyone but I thought the same thing about Cinder… we can hide from the fans together xP)

May @ Forever and Everly
    May 6, 2017 at 11:19 pm

I haven't read any of the books you mentioned, except for Cinder. Which I loved. XD Cinder DOES have a great premise though! And this is SUCH A COOL TAG! I'm drawn to YA because, like you said, I'm a teenager myself and find myself relating to the characters more. Also YA just has so many great books. XD

Also, even though I wasn't tagged, OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVING THE QUESTIONS TYPED OUT FOR PEOPLE TO COPY AND PASTE. I hate when people tag you in something and it has a lot of questions. Then you have to copy and paste the whole post and take out their answers and put in yours. TOO MUCH WORK. XD

Loved this post! I enjoyed reading your answers. πŸ™‚

May @ Forever and Everly

May 7, 2017 at 2:02 am

I KNOW. I looked in my blogger feed and saw that you did a tag as well XD

YOU MUST TRY NADINE BRANDES' BOOKS. They are EPIC. (I think you get the idea xD)

May 7, 2017 at 2:05 am

I guess it's a blogger tag day πŸ˜› My feed was full of them!

(that would be an awesome post, btw πŸ™‚

YOU MUST TRY A TIME TO SPEAK. They're just amazing books, okay? And omw you're reading Blades of Acktar right now too?!? I'm on the second one right now and finding myself relating with Renna so much (you know, tripping over things and stuff. I do that sometimes xD). And Brandi's so sweet and I love characters with dark pasts like Leith's *stops fangirling* Who's your favorite character?

May 7, 2017 at 2:08 am

I was trying to think of who to tag and thought you would love it xD

Welks. It's definitely fun to go around quoting from Out of Time series πŸ˜‰

May 7, 2017 at 2:09 am

AAAHHH THANK YOU <3<3

May 7, 2017 at 2:12 am

I've been following K.M. Weiland's blog for over six months now, and I just got her books! The outlining book is EPIC. If you're familiar with her methods of story structure and character arcs, I'd recommend reading it first. It was AMAZING. Rather than being all stiff, this outlining method is all about creativity! I'm planning on reading Structuring Your Novel next, then finish with Character Arcs, since I just reread the blog post series πŸ˜€

YOU SHOULD. IT'S EPIC.

<3 <3

May 7, 2017 at 2:13 am

Yep, my first time. I think tags are definitely fun, though I wouldn't do them all the time. Just every now and then when I can't come up with a post idea xD

May 7, 2017 at 2:15 am

I KNOW AREN'T ALL THOSE BOOKS EPIC?!? *flails*

(when I finished it and wasn't impressed I was afraid that an angry mob of fans would come and attack me. :P)

May 7, 2017 at 2:16 am

I know! Even though I wasn't a huge fan of the book, I had to admit that the idea was very unique.

btw, if you want to do this tag you are more than welcome to! I'm horrible at finding other bloggers to tag, so go ahead and answer all the questions if you'd like πŸ˜€

Thank you! <3

Micaiah SaldaΓ±a
    May 7, 2017 at 2:58 am

AAHHH!!! I saw this tag and I was like, "Please Audrey tag me," AND YOU TAGGED ME!!! *hugs* Thank you, this looks so fun! =D AND THAT QUOTE!! It is one of my favorites too, and Jaye and Nadine are both AWESOME writers!!

Micaiah

Jem Jones
    May 7, 2017 at 8:18 am

It's so fun reading your first tag and finding out more about you as a writer!!

That is excellent advice, to figure out why we write so we can use that to re-motivate ourselves. And I don't do coffee or tea either – sometimes I worry I'm not a real writer because I don't do coffee! ;P

I think The False Prince would be a great movie – have you read it? (I really need to read Time to Speak and Time to Rise, because A Time to Die was quite intriguing!)

Jem Jones

AmyNikita
    May 7, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Ah I love your answers, Audrey! Especially the advice you give: that's so true and I totally agree with you. I write because I believe God's given me that skill, and I believe he wants me to honour and praise him through the words and stories I write. And I LOVE it πŸ™‚

Wonderful post!!

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

Karyssa Norton
    May 7, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Same! I guess everyone decided to do a tag this weekend, haha. πŸ™‚

Yes, I am! I didn't know you were reading them, TOO! πŸ˜€ I just started the last book Deliver. (I can totally relate to tripping over things. I also like to walk into stuff, and sometimes people. :P) Oh, my favorite character? Leith, for sure! <3 How about you, who's your favorite?

Noor
    May 7, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Eeeek I love this tag <3 I feel like the perfect drink for writing is water, if I drink coffee or tea I always have a caffeine crash like 3 hours later so it's not ideal for long periods of time πŸ˜›

~ Noor

May 9, 2017 at 1:17 am

omw Leith is epic! He's definitely my favorite character, though I'm starting to like Renna a lot more now. I JUST started Defy, and I can't wait to read Deliver!

May 9, 2017 at 1:25 am

*lowers voice* I've actually never had coffee before πŸ˜› I've tried tea, but I just don't do drinks besides water when I'm writing for some reason.

Ooooh, I'll go check that out! Thank you for the recommendation! πŸ˜€ (and yesss go read those! I'd say the second one is even better than the first!)

May 9, 2017 at 1:28 am

I had a feeling you'd like it. xD I can't wait for the post!

EEEPPP. I KNOW. They are my favorite authors *flails*

May 9, 2017 at 1:29 am

Thank you, Amy!

That's so awesome! It's so beautiful when we find something that we love and that, no matter how many times we doubt, we're drawn back to, like He's giving us a little nudge saying, "go do that. I made you for it."

I can't wait to read your novels one day! <3

May 9, 2017 at 1:31 am

Aaahhh thank you! It was super fun to do.

I know πŸ˜› I'm not a huge caffeine person, but when I DO have it, I'm hyper for an hour or two then I crash. Not good for writing xD

Thanks for reading! <3

Farm Lassie
    May 9, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Wow, a tag for YA authors! How cool!

By the way, I tagged you for the Liebster Award: http://catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com/2017/05/liebster-blog-award.html

Abbiee
    May 9, 2017 at 10:07 pm

EEEEP THIS WAS SO FUN TO READ <3 I totally relate to the "when did you start writing" question omg. I think I was seven??? BUT IT WAS FANFICTION AND I THOUGHT IT WAS A NOVEL BUT REALLY IT WAS PROBABLY LIKE 2,000 WORDS LOLOL but hey #memories :''''') Also now I really want to go check out A Time To Speak… πŸ˜‰

rock on,
    abbiee

Aster Hessler
    May 11, 2017 at 12:17 am

Hi! So I just found out that you have a blog… (I'm Jess, from KP btw.) Exiles *flails* Yes, I'm sooo excited for it! And I agree with you about Cinder. I thought the premise was good, but I didn't care for the story. And Nadine Brandes' books are amazing! (Lots of fangirling over here πŸ˜‰ )

Jess
    theartfulauthor.wordpress.com

May 11, 2017 at 2:10 am

I know, right?!? I kinda squealed when I found out about it xD

Awesome! Thank you so much. I'll go check it out πŸ™‚

May 11, 2017 at 2:14 am

AAHHH THANK YOU IT WAS FUN TO WRITE.

*facepalm* I feel like I'm the only writer who gave up on fanfiction before she even began πŸ˜‰

UM… WHY HAVEN'T YOU YET?!? Go read it. xD

May 11, 2017 at 2:16 am

Eeep! Hi! *waves* It's great to see another KeePeer blogger πŸ˜€

I'm going to start rereading Ilyon Chronicles now so I remember everything about the story before Exiles comes out xD It will be my first time reading my hard copies instead of my kindle ones too, so…. *flails*

Thanks for reading!

Caitlin Lambert
    May 12, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I honestly feel like the worst friend ever because I tagged you for this and didn't even realize you had done it!! *gasp in shame* I'm so sorry! But I love your answers, Audrey! I have a Time to die on my TBR, and I'm excited to read it. Nadine is so sweet =) Thank you for doing the tag, girlie! Sorry again this is so late, but I'm still sharing this post… Oh, and also, there's now a list on my blog of all the posts for the #VoicesofYA tag, if you want to meet some other YA writers!

May 13, 2017 at 3:01 am

Aaahh, I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you! I meant to let you know but this week was crazy and I couldn't stop by your blog πŸ™

Thank you again for tagging me on it — I had a ton of fun! I'll be sure to go check out that list πŸ˜€

Grace Osas
    May 16, 2017 at 6:52 pm

You didn't… like… Cinder? *faints*

Just kidding, I can actually see why you couldn't get into it but despite its faults, I gave it four stars! So rare for me xD

May 16, 2017 at 8:20 pm

I'm sorry! I knew I'd be in for attacks by Cinder fans, but it's not my kind of book *hides under the bed* πŸ˜‰

Thanks for reading! <3