This Past Month: April

Just for the record, I took that picture, and I’m finally proud of myself XP

(a.k.a. when my overcommiter self finally gets punished xD)
(and that picture is really ironic because I spent the last week of the month nearly freezing to death up in the mountains. Just saying.)

Can anyone tell me where the year is going? I will seriously pay you if you can tell me. πŸ˜‰

I am proud to say that this month went extremely well for my writing. #campnanohappened and I kept up with my goal of writing two hours a day very well. Then, about three weeks in, I realized oh, wow, I might not be able to make this.

Thankfully, going through beta reader feedback was an excuse to write more xD

During the first half of the month, I finished the second draft of my sequel, Outcast. It went much better than I expected, especially the last quarter that had been so difficult to write. I’m going to set it aside for the summer and come back to it in September.

As for the first book, Found, I got all the feedback from my beta readers and am getting ready for some major rewrites. All the comments were quite encouraging, and now I have a clear direction for fixing my novel! I’m starting with an outline this time. At last πŸ˜‰

(and can I just scream about K.M. Weiland’s outlining method for a moment? because I started using it and literally three minutes in I was like “hey, all my plot problems are fixed!”

I finished Pride and Prejudice! And omw it was amazing if you are a writer you MUST read it. The characters were just incredible and I was reading it as fast as I would a fantasy novel despite that all the characters do is walk around and talk xD Jane Austin is the character master.

(but the end… what do I say? Predictable? It’s a romance novel, after all :P)

I can’t remember exactly how many books I read, but I think it was about four or five, plus two novellas for beta reading. My favorite/worst favorite rolled into one was To Darkness Fled.

WHAT HAPPENED TO VRELL?!?! The ending was so masterful yet infuriating that I nearly threw my Kindle across the room xD But I’d definitely recommend it; the plot is amazing.

Then, just because I’m random, I started reading the Little House books again because why not?

I disappeared for a week (actually two). But since it was camp nano time, I had a good excuse πŸ˜‰ However… I know I did vanish for another week this past week, but that was because I was on vacation. It was so beautiful outside that I couldn’t bring myself to get on my computer and get some stuff done. I’ll get better again in May πŸ˜›

I did, however, finish my #projectcanvas article. Barely. I procrastinated on it then panicked two weeks before it was due because my first draft was horrible. I can’t force articles ;P

Anyway, here’s my rather small collection of posts for April:

I might not have posted much, buuuut other people did, so…..

Savannah @scatterescribblings wrote to all us young writers and nearly made me cry.

Katie Grace @awritersfaith made me pine away for writing a first draft.

Karyssa @nocoffeenocando gave me the most beautiful reminder.

And Kate @thegoodnessrevolt did it again and wow go read this.

And lastly, Jonathan @fishingforideas wrote an amazing post about incorporating faith into your novels and this one which is equally as awesome.

Life. Ha. Haha. Funny one….

Wellll I guess it was a good month, because….

Now I’m driving.

(*.*)/

(you can try and guess what that means).

It was rather stressful getting ready for the permit test, since I took exactly two weeks to do the online course then I had to study the booklet…. then I had to wait in a line at the DMV and be rather daunted by all the legal stuff that goes on. But I passed my knowledge test and now have my permit!

Oh, and I hit a curb. Whoops xD

Life kept on rolling at top speed as I had more public speaking, then a ton of stuff going on Easter week. (yummy food. foot-cramps from wearing heels. reading until midnight bc I need to to fall asleep. you know, the usual.) Come afternoon on Easter morning, all I could do was lay on the floor of my bedroom and talk at my Kindle as I read.

Then I tried to scramble and get everything (emails, beta reading, articles, blog posts, etc.) off my list before I went on vacation the final week of the month, and attempted to ski again after a break of nearly three (or was it four?) years. I was a snowboarder most recently, so I kept complaining about my poles xD

And it was cold. C-O-L-D. *cue shivers and teeth chattering* (just as I was getting ready for summer…)

Now… *exhale.* It was a crazy month!

My first newsletter is flying out on May 2nd! I’m going to be going more in-depth about my camp nano experience, editing, beta reader feedback… all the good stuff.

As for life in general, where has the year gone? It’s almost summer!?!? I’m hoping to get a bunch of rewriting for Found done before then.

And take more time to breathe xD

How was your month? Any crazy things happen? (get your driving permit, finish a novel, etc.) Let’s talk April!

monthly wrap-ups

No Comments

Andrea
    April 29, 2017 at 12:06 pm

AAAH I'm so happy this month was great in all aspects! Writing this month was great for me too πŸ™‚ I finally started first drafting after almost two years of fiddling around.

OMG THE LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE?! ARE WE ON THE SAME LEVEL HERE?! Those books were my life!

And this is so weird but I'm about to start learning how to drive too 0.0

Overall your month seemed pretty exciting <3 I'm sure the year will continue to be great for you!

– Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

AmyNikita
    April 29, 2017 at 12:19 pm

YAY for your writing going well!! You inspire me so much <3
    And K. M Weiland is just amazing, isn't she? Her articles are pure gold.
    And I noticed your IG photo below, with you holding the books. Do you mind me asking where you got them? Did you order them online? I'm trying to find cheap-ish copies somewhere. Thanks!

DRIVING. Scary. I am terrified of that part of the future and am trying to push it to the back of mind, but….. *sighs* it's gotta come sometime. Darn it.

Awesome post πŸ™‚ Have a wonderful May, Audrey!

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

Karyssa Norton
    April 29, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Ahh! You finished Pride and Prejudice! So glad you liked it. It was one of my favorites of all the books I had to read for school. πŸ˜› (A lot of my Goodreads friends didn't like it at all.)

Hey, congrats on getting you driving permit! That's so exciting. πŸ˜€ I actually haven't gotten my driver's license yet. But hopefully, I will soon. Staying up late to read is the best! I've had a few nights where I was up until 2am reading. What can I say? The books were just that good. You went skiing? I love to ski, and I only got to go once this year. And I hadn't been skiing for about two years. Never really tried snowboarding though.

So glad you had a great April! πŸ™‚

Jonathan Trout
    April 29, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I FEEL LIKE A BUNCH OF PEOPLE ARE GETTING THEIR LICENSES THIS MONTH??? I got mine also just last week, haha. *high five* And I'm DYIIING to read your first newsletter. No pressure. xP

Marrok MacIntyre
    April 29, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Congrats on getting your drivers license! Man those DMV's though. I think zootopia got it right with how long it takes over there.

I'm not familiar with the K.M. Weiland method, dose it really work that well?

Julia Ryan
    April 29, 2017 at 4:41 pm

i looooooove little house on the prairie – BEST BOOKS EVER. I'm serious, there are few authoresses better than Laura Ingalls Wilder – I could cry she's so amazing
    AND GOOD JOB WITH DRIVING isn't it a blast? XD

May @ Forever and Everly
    April 29, 2017 at 6:03 pm

NEWSLETTER??? WHERE WAS THE MEMO??? *frantically searches blog* And agh I read this kiddie version of P&P, but I need to read the original version! And yas betas! Beta readers are honestly super awesome. <3 WHOOP WHOOP FOR DRIVING have fun! XD

May @ Forever and Everly

April 30, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Eeep! That's awesome! I wish you well with the 1st draft epicness πŸ˜€

UMM… I THINK WE ARE. I practically fell in love with reading because of those books!

O.O I hope you don't hit a curb πŸ˜‰

April 30, 2017 at 5:49 pm

K.M. Weiland's books/blog = writing secrets of the universe xD
    I ordered them on Amazon. They weren't super pricey — each about $10. There's a chance that you might be able to find some good used ones somewhere, too πŸ™‚

Honestly, I was terrified too… and still am at times πŸ˜› I think it just takes some getting used to.

You too! <3

April 30, 2017 at 5:52 pm

I know quite a few people who didn't like P&P either! I admit that classics are hard to "get into," but since I had to read so many for school, I guess I developed a liking for them πŸ˜›

Thanks! I hope your test goes well πŸ™‚

Have a great May! <3

April 30, 2017 at 5:54 pm

It was only the permit, BUT I AM TERRIFIED FOR THE ACTUAL TEST. CONGRATS ON SURVIVING IT.

Yeah, no pressure at all xD (it was actually a blast to write!)

April 30, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Yep xD When my mom and I got in line, we thought we'd be there for at least two hours. Thankfully we had an appointment πŸ˜›

It does for me! Mostly it's just a way of brainstorming and plotting at once. The story structure that she teaches reads really well too (if you pay attention in movies, you can usually see it!). Here's the link to her blog: Helping Writers Become Authors

April 30, 2017 at 6:00 pm

I KNOW. I used to snuggle up by a roaring fire in the winter with hot cocoa and read for hours. I think my favorite is These Happy Golden Years (it's the sweetest love story xD)

UM, YEAH, UNTIL YOU HIT SOMETHING. XP Don't worry: I got my confidence back after I took a lesson with AAA. I'll be good and safe come six months from now πŸ˜‰

April 30, 2017 at 6:02 pm

EEEP! DID YOU FIND IT?!? I tried to put it in the most obvious place πŸ˜›

THE ORIGINAL VERSION IS AWESOME! Though the formatting was weird on Kindle, I was able to easily look up the definitions of words I didn't know.

AAAHH THANK YOU! Thanks for reading <3

Caitlin Lambert
    May 1, 2017 at 9:37 pm

I started Pride and Prejudice when I was young, and couldn't get past the few page. I started it again about a year-and-a-half ago, and it is one of my faves now! It really IS all about characters walking and talking, but Jane Austen does it so masterfully.

And Little House on the Prairie?! Those books define my childhood. My copy of Little House on the Prairie has the spine taped together, because it is falling apart. I refuse to let it go, though.

So happy for you and the writing you accomplished! I can't wait for the day when I can read your books! =)

Micaiah SaldaΓ±a
    May 1, 2017 at 11:05 pm

AAAHHHHH APRIL!!! AND AAAAAHHHH PRIDE AND PREJUDICE!!! You read it, yeeessss!!! I hope you're as big a fan of Darcy as me. =) And the Little House books are so good! My copies are falling apart, due to two other sisters who also love them to pieces. xD

AAAHHH YOU'RE DRIVING! I'm taking driver's ed this year. *is terrified* I'm afraid I may do worse than run over a curb… *is even more terrified* And again, congratulations on beating Camp Nano and totally DOMINATING your goal! =D

May 2, 2017 at 2:03 am

Wow! My Little House books were actually my mom's! I'd probably make a ton of money if I sold the edition on ebay, but I love them too much xD

Awww, thank you, Caitlin. That means a lot <3

May 2, 2017 at 2:06 am

I DO love Darcy! For some reason I always fall for the misunderstood characters πŸ˜‰

AAAHH I AM. I'm finally started to get the hang of it πŸ˜› Today I actually had a behind the wheel class with AAA. It's reassuring that they have a brake on their side… just in case. I'm sure you'll do great!

Thank you! It was so fun being in cabin and watching everyone race toward their goal! πŸ˜€

Jem Jones
    May 3, 2017 at 5:38 am

I read your email newsletter, and it's awesome that you've found an outlining method that works for you! Sounds like it's making your writing process so much easier. πŸ™‚ I'd love to be a planner, but can't manage (which is really weird). xD

Jem Jones

Jem Jones
    May 4, 2017 at 10:29 am

And I've just tagged you for the Writers' Tag over here, only if you wanted to?

May 4, 2017 at 6:25 pm

Everyone finds their own method πŸ™‚ I used to be a panster, but more because I wanted to be one (outlining takes a lot of time!). Planning everything out definitely works better for me, but I wouldn't say it's the way for everyone to do it!

Thank you so much! I'll go check it out πŸ˜€

Marrok MacIntyre
    May 4, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Ooooh cool! Thanks I'll check it out!

Maddy
    May 5, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Yay for getting your permit!! πŸ˜€
    I got my permit last year and I'm working towards getting my license! My goal is to get it this year but who knows what will happen. πŸ™‚

littlebitofsunshineweb.wordpress.com

May 5, 2017 at 8:17 pm

omw I know! It's kinda terrifying yet exciting at once πŸ˜€

That's awesome! I hope that works out well for you πŸ™‚

Thanks for reading <3

Flowers InMyBasket
    May 6, 2017 at 12:14 am

Hello πŸ™‚ you have a really pretty blog! I'm subscribing now. I'm reading pride and prejudice too, but I'm not finished it yet. I tagged you in a writing tag on my blog; you don't have to do it if you don't want, but feel free too!

May 6, 2017 at 12:52 am

*waves* welcome to my blog! And thank you! πŸ˜€

Oooh, cool! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for stopping by <3

Flowers InMyBasket
    May 6, 2017 at 1:23 am

Oh, and one more random thing (since you've read P&P) isn't it funny how Jane Austen made Elizabeth go on and on about how good and angelic Jane is? 😜

May 6, 2017 at 1:28 am

Haha, yes, it is xD I think she was trying to foil Jane with the other girls–show how good Jane was compared to them. That made the other girls seem not as good and angelic as Jane πŸ˜‰

• Let's chat!