there’s a pretty little legend….

It’s March. For some reason, it’s eighty degrees where I am. I’m peering wide-eyed into the future, trying to plan some things out, but really, we have no idea what the future is going to hold (sort of cool and sort of frustrating at times). I’m a bit  o v e r w h e l m e d  by the possibilities, all the things I want to do, all the things I need to do, and how very little time there seems to be to get everything done. You know, typical weekday afternoon thoughts.

But I went for a walk on the beach (best place in the world to think/talk), and found several sand dollars. The tide was out, so you could find them with the only casualty being the warmth of your feet. I haven’t found one in nearly a year, and looking at some made me think about a poem I read in sixth grade.

The legend of the sand dollar.

It goes like this:
there’s a pretty little legend
that I would like to tell
of the birth and death of Jesus
found in this lowly shell.
if you examine it closely,
you’ll see that you find here
four nail holes and a fifth one
made by a Roman’s spear.
on one side the Easter lily,
its center is the star,
that appeared unto shepherds
and led them from afar.
the Christmas poinsettia,
etched on the other side
reminds us of His birthday,
our happy Christmastide.
now break the center open,
and here you will release
the five white doves awaiting
to spread good will and peace.
this simple little symbol
Christ left for you and me
to help us spread His Gospel
through all eternity.
Sand dollar - I love these things.  When you break them open there are little tiny doves inside.  Beautiful.
from pinterest

Isn’t that a beautiful little reminder? To think God made something like that to remind of us His Son’s birth and sacrifice!

That made me think of how many little reminders God leaves us to tell us, “hey, it’s okay. I’ve got this.”

He’s holding all our dreams and deadlines in His hands. He’s holding us in His hands, even when we’re stressed out or just so tired we forget how to rest. And He’s telling us He’s got everything under control.

What other reminders does He leave us in our everyday lives?

He gave us the rainbow to remind us that never again will He flood the world like He did.

He gave us a day, a Sabbath, every week to rest and worship Him with others.

He gave us His Word, the Bible, an entire book to tell us how to know, love, and serve Him.

And, one of my favorites, He left the cross empty to remind us of His victory over sin and death.

Thinking about all that, all God has given us and how He’s in control of our entire lives, it’s just amazing. It makes me want to lay down and rest forever in His Presence, be reassured that everything is going to be alright.

I think we need more reminders like that, just little things in the middle of our busy lives that tell us that God has got this. He’s got us.

Wear a cross. Look for rainbows. Take a day of rest.

Or keep a sand dollar in your pocket and think of a pretty little legend….

*****

I’d like to give a shout out to Julia and Marrok for convincing me on Instagram to do this post. Thank you so much! I wrote this post as a true panster, but I’m so glad I did. I really needed it xD #handofGod even in the little things like that. (get it? little things, little reminders…yes, I’m great at telling jokes XP )

I hope you guys got a little reminder of God’s glory here. Next week, I’ll be giving the full low-down on what’s going on with my writing and maybe even some snippets.

Have you heard the legend of the sand dollar? Have you ever found one? What sort of reminders has God left for you?

random

No Comments

AmyNikita
    March 11, 2017 at 3:01 pm

I've never heard of the sand dollar, but it's such a cool thing! Thanks for doing this post, Audrey, it was really encouraging πŸ™‚ <3

Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

Karyssa Norton
    March 11, 2017 at 4:45 pm

I've never found a sand dollar, but I've always wanted to. I love the poem you shared. πŸ˜€

Thank you so much for this post! It was a great reminder. (No pun intended. Well… maybe. Sort of.)

Hannah White
    March 11, 2017 at 5:16 pm

I love how you live close enough to just go out for a walk on the beach. #jelly

My favorite reminder is the sunrise and sunset. Everyday, the sun gives us light to see and live by. And at the end of the day it sets, displaying a marvelous masterpiece over the sky. And then hours later, it rises again.

And birds. Jesus talks about how His Father cares for the birds of the field. And are we not of much more value than they? When I'm feeling down and I look outside, I almost always find a few birds and I think of that verse.

Marrok MacIntyre
    March 11, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Sand dollars!! What I fun post Audrey, I have to say that the legend I've herd was a little different… okay a lot different. Though I like the pome you shared more! I've never found any sand dollars, I found little crabs once, but never any sand dollars πŸ™
    If I had to say what reminders God has left me is… Everything, I can't just say one thing since everything reminds me of God's greatness(He made everything after all)!

(question though, should it be "grave empty" instead of "cross empty"? just because Jesus was hanging on the cross and was put into a tomb.)

Savannah Grace
    March 11, 2017 at 8:38 pm

This was so beautiful, Audrey! Thank you for sharing it – I've never heard it before, but I'm certainly going to remember it! Now I want to go out and find myself a sand dollar xD.

(also, I was asking about Camp NaNo yesterday because there are spots left in my cabin, and I wanted to know if you'd like to be invited? We'd love to have you!)

~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

Clara
    March 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm

Lovely! Soooo beautiful! <3

RandyAbby
    March 12, 2017 at 12:03 am

I have only been to the beach but once in my life (hashtag Midwestern kid problems :/) and I looked and looked last month in Texas, but I did not find a sand dollar. However, one day I hope to find a whole one just resting or half hidden on the beach just for me.
    I love the spiritual lesson you gave us from this, too. His blessings are everywhere!

Randy Abby
    WAKE ME UP Blog

March 12, 2017 at 2:02 am

Thank you, Amy! <3 <3 <3 <3

March 12, 2017 at 2:04 am

Thank you! I hope you find one someday. I guess it's like a four-leaf clover — you can't find one, can't find one, and when you do, they're suddenly popping up everywhere (though I've never see one :P).

Haha. I'm glad you liked it πŸ˜€

March 12, 2017 at 2:06 am

Oh, yes! Sunrises and sunsets are so beautiful. And even when we can't see the sun at night, it reflects off the moon and we see the stars, and we know that it's still there. Sort of like when we're going through a hard time and can't seem to see God's plan, but we know it's still there.

Thank you for your beautiful comment <3

March 12, 2017 at 2:09 am

Crabs…I found some the other day, but I just tried not to step on them xD

Wow. For sure. Everything is a reminder when we look hard enough!

(oh, yeah πŸ˜› I sort of meant it as that Jesus died for us on the cross and that reminds us of how he freed us from sin.)

March 12, 2017 at 2:12 am

Thank you!

I've never been on any other beach but west coast, but I'm pretty sure they're everywhere. If the tide is out and you risk getting your feet wet, you should be able to get one!

(Eeep! Yes, thank you! I think you just added me :D)

March 12, 2017 at 2:13 am

Awwww, thank you, Clara! <3 <3

March 12, 2017 at 2:15 am

I'm sorry :/ I hope you find one someday though! It feels just like that when you find them, as though God stuck one in the sand and directed your gaze to it. Super special <3

Thank you! I'm glad you stopped by!

Jessica
    March 12, 2017 at 10:12 pm

I like this – the poem, and the lessons you drew.. There's something amazing about nature, the way it points to the Creator just by being. Thanks for this post. I hope you feel more assured about the future too – I know it's scary to consider sometimes!

March 12, 2017 at 10:22 pm

I've never seen a sand dollar but they look so cool in all the pictures!

That poem is so beautiful. <3 Do you know who it's by?

Micaiah SaldaΓ±a
    March 12, 2017 at 11:49 pm

I have heard the legend of the sand dollar. It is such a beautiful story! I actually have about five sand dollars in my closet right now and one under my bed. xD Sunsets fill me with awe, and are a reminder of God's love for me. =)

Micaiah

Sarah Margaret
    March 12, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I love this!! my dad got me a sand dollar and showed me this a while back <33

Julia Ryan
    March 13, 2017 at 12:50 am

aww what a great post! I'm so glad you ended up doing it *grins* I've never found a sand dollar…but maybe I will someday xD

March 13, 2017 at 4:01 pm

I know! It's incredible how everything He made points to Him in one way or another.

Thank you <3 I'm getting there!

March 13, 2017 at 4:04 pm

I hope you see one someday!

Hm… I took it from my science book, and it said "author unknown." However… *goes and googles it* *blinks* Oh. It says a dozen different people, but I definitely give full credit to the author xD

March 13, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Ooooh cool! Why is that poor little guy under your bed? πŸ˜‰

Sunsets are gorgeous! I especially love them going behind mountains or the ocean and then filling the sky with fiery colors… <3

March 13, 2017 at 4:06 pm

AAAAAH. THAT'S AWESOME. They're just so pretty <3

March 13, 2017 at 4:08 pm

You saved me from having to post the mess I currently had xD

I'm sure you will <3

Jonathan
    March 14, 2017 at 2:05 am

I've never heard of the legend of the sand dollar until now. I have found a sand dollar before. πŸ™‚
    This post was encouraging, Audrey!

Arnica Annonymous
    March 14, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I remember my grandma used to have a sand dollar as big as my hand kept in a box with that legend! I always thought it was neat!

Autumn Raelin
    March 14, 2017 at 3:59 pm

I loved reading this post, Audrey!! It's so incredible how little things like sand dollars can hold so much meaning. I'd never heard of the legend either. <3

AND I GET YOU ON THE WEEKDAY AFTERNOON THOUGHTS HOLLA (except for the 80 degrees part. We're in the middle of a blizzard so πŸ˜‰ It's so easy to get so overwhelmed with all the things I have to do *falls over* WE CAN DO IT.

March 14, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Aaaah that's so awesome! I'm glad you liked it! πŸ˜€

March 14, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Wow. Sand dollars as big as you hand O.O That would be a m a z i n g .

Thanks for stopping by! <3

March 14, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Eeeep, thank you!

I know, right? SO amazing <3

YES. *pants* Weekday afternoon thoughts can totally get away from us. But we will conquer them (one day)! XD

Abby M.
    March 17, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Oh my gosh this is so beautiful!! I've never thought of a sand dollar that way!

March 18, 2017 at 1:22 am

THANK YOU. I'm glad you liked it!

• Let's chat!